Commitment to Civil Rights
The Fairbanks North Star Borough is committed to ensuring that no person is excluded from participation in or denied the benefits of its services on the basis of race, color, or national origin, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended.
Toward this end, it is the objective to :
- Ensure that the level and quality of public transportation service is provided without regard to race, color or national origin
- Identify and address, as appropriate, disproportionately high and adverse human health and environmental effects, including social and economic effects of programs and activities on minority populations and low-income populations
- Promote the full and fair participation of all affected populations in public transportation decision making
- Prevent the denial, reduction or delay in benefits related to programs and activities that benefit minority populations or low-income populations
- Ensure meaningful access to programs and activities by persons with limited English proficiency (LEP)
The Transportation Director, senior management, and all supervisors and employees share the responsibility for carrying out the Transportation Department's commitment to Title VI. The Transportation Director is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the program, and receives and investigates Title VI complaints that come through the complaint procedures process as described in the next section.
The Transportation Department's Title VI Complaint Procedures
Any person who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination under Title VI on the basis of race, color or national origin may file a Title VI complaint with the Transportation Department within 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination. Complaints may either be filed with the Transportation Department or with the U.S. Department of Transportation.
How to File a Complaint with the Public Transportation Department
- To obtain a copy of the Title VI Complaint Form, request one by mail by calling 907-459-1196.
- Then submit the completed form to the Transportation Department at the following address:
MACS Transportation Department Transportation Director
3175 Peger Road
Fairbanks, AK 99709
To find out more about our nondiscrimination obligations call the Transportation Department at 907-459-1196.